Goals of the Sixth Grade Full Curriculum:
Parents report that the Day-by-Day is an especially valuable friend in sixth grade. After all, children of this age are moving into the dialectic (logic) stage of the Trivium; they are now able to challenge the things they learn. You’ll notice that our test sets contain more essays at this level, and writing is of increased importance. Students are asked not only to define in their own words, but to give pros and cons; to discuss behavior or express opinion. These things cannot be taught or assessed through multiple choice, self-graded, or computer-graded tests. Our goal is to produce thinkers. Having acquired the tools with which to learn (K-5th) we are ready to focus on the learning process. If a student is taught how to learn in a few subjects, he will be equipped to learn any subject! In vocabulary, for example, students learn synonyms, antonyms, applications of words, and analogies. The Writing Skills workbook sets forth some basics of topic sentences and paragraphs.
In history sixth graders read a passage and then summarize orally or in a notebook. Continual feedback and interaction of ideas not only insures proper understanding but provides an opportunity for expression and growth. It builds confidence. The reading of Castle and Cathedral is integrated with the study of The Middle Ages.
Students will discover amazing animals, record where each one is found, and learn to identify tracks as part of the third book in the science series, Exploring Creation with Zoology. The main focus in math is on division of decimals, geometry, and percents. In Bible, students engage in a study of the New Testament focusing on the ministry of Christ and the first missionary journeys.
Included in the Sixth Grade Full Curriculum:
- Day-by-Day Scheduling Guide for Sixth Grade
- CHC Preceptor CD-Rom*
- CHC Grading Masters* (grades 5-12)
- CHC 6th Grade Course Blueprint packet
Items Included in the Sixth Grade Language Curriculum:
- Language Roundup 6, student book, teacher's edition and course blueprint
- CHC Grammar Activity Booklet includes diagramming booklet, activities and answer key
- CHC Grammar Handbook 6
- Writing Skills, Book 1, student book with blueprint
- Wordly Wise 3000, Book 3, includes student book, achievement tests, answer key and blueprint
- Captains Courageous, unabridged classic with CHC Reader's Guide
- They Shall Be Mine, historical account of some of God's people, with study guide
- Cathedral, Caldecott Honor Book, with blueprint and quizzes
- Castle, Caldecott Honor Book, with blueprint and quizzes
- CHC A Guide to Writing Book Reports
Items Included in the Sixth Grade Bible Curriculum:
- Show Me Thy Ways 6, includes textbook, workbook with answer key, chapter tests and blueprint
Items Included in the Sixth Grade History Curriculum:
- Famous Men of the Middle Ages includes blueprint, student text, student guide and teacher's guide with answer key
- CHC quarterly tests to Famous Men of Middle Ages
- CHC History Overlay booklet, 2nd ed.
- CHC Developing Your History Schema, a CHC article
Items Included in the Sixth Grade Science Curriculum:
- Zoology 3: Land Animals of the Sixth Day textbook
- Zoology 3 Quarterly tests with answer key
- Peterson Mammals Field Guide coloring book
- BJP Science 6, 3rd ed., includes student text with answer key to text, BJP test set with answer key, a science supplemental reader, and daily scheduling for the subject.
Items Included in the Sixth Grade Mathematics Curriculum:
- MCP Mathematics, 2005 ed., Level F includes student book , teacher's manual and blueprint
- Saxon 76, 4th ed., includes softbound student text , tests and worksheets, solutions manual and blueprint
A $15.00 tailoring fee is included in the alternate price. To avoid this fee, you may order by individual module instead.
*A special full curriculum bonus!